Friday, October 23, 2009
I went out with Chris and Keith tonight, Bee joined us. Bee is 19 and in love with life, in love with fred flare, in love with retail, with blogs, and New York. I listened to her as she beamed a bright smile and told me she keeps thinking she is going to wake up from a dream. In contrast I felt nothing at all, I forget what its like to be that happy, the last time I felt like her I think I was about 19 and was driving my mustang in the desert. Wait, it might have been October of 2007 when I went to Vegas on BYU's tab, and California to do a photoshoot with Drew. Anyway, the thing is, there is no formula for that particular happiness. I can't whip up a cocktail of joy and drink it, I can't move somewhere and be a different person. I know for sure no matter where I am, I am myself. And I am certainly not Bee.
Monday, October 19, 2009
Saturday, October 17, 2009
I have no idea how this happened, but in the mail yesterday, I received a typewriter typed, hand signed, letter and book of art from my design crush. The envelope was colored on, had funny stickers, and he did not forget the accent on the e at the end of my name. I kept thinking it had to be some mistake. I have only ever emailed him about work related matters. I still think it has to be a mistake. Maybe I will have to take the train to his Brooklyn studio and say "Mike Perry, what is this all about? did you mean to send this to Keith? if so, you spelled his name wrong and it really confused me."
Thursday, October 15, 2009
Alright, I haven't read the profile for an aquarius since I started using the internet. Last time I read it I think I was in a Borders book store, or a library. Andrew (he lives next door) said he was bored at work and read about the Leo sign (which he is) and it surprised him how accurate it was. So, bored at 11 at night, I read mine. Its completely right, although I overcame my need to collect things when I was about 18 and decided not to do that. And also, I'm not obsessed with gadgets. I am however, interested in outer space, the future, emotionally detached, love conspiracy, love good intellectual exercise through conversation, adventure seeking, open minded and accepting, yet stubborn in my ideas, surround myself with eccentrics, afraid of boredom, scatterbrained, tactless (I'm working on that), and act as a stabilizing force for others. In short, the shipping manager at my work says I'm a Phoebe.
Wednesday, October 14, 2009
I liked his name, and he came recommended, so I went to the doctor today. I got an EKG to check my heart. It has been pounding out of my chest randomly for the past few months. Looks like I'm healthy though. I just have to check my heart rate when I have an episode, and get more sleep. But if it keeps up, I will either go to a cardiologist, or ask him to just get me some Xanax. My vote is for the latter.
It might be premature for me to announce this, but I just can't hold it in. My dad is planning on entering the Senior Olympics in St. George next year. He's not in it just to enter either "he's going to win." He's doing the 50yd dash, 100yd dash, and maybe tennis too. He might not be able to enter the tennis match though, because he is semi professional. I actually would love it if he entered in boxing, is that an Olympic sport? My dad is the coolest!
Cousins I never knew I had from Georgia and other southern states are finding me on facebook. They can't really spell, wear cowboy hats, fleece pullovers, and use neon sparkle clipart frames in their pictures, but that is my favorite part of it. It makes me feel a little like Margot Tenenbaum. I'm hoping more stories and old family photos come out of this new phenomenon.
Monday, October 12, 2009
So if every person I know that has left New York (only 3 people), now say they are living the best life ever, then why would I stay? Because no one here is saying they are living the best life ever and I'm definitely not. Oh yeah, I'm here because the economy sucks and I am really lucky to have a job at all.
And I invited the neighbor boy over for dinner. I also panicked because I should have vacuumed first. Bardhi had us sit at the table and eat chips and salsa while he cooked. Then he brought the food out to us, and washed all the dishes. I wish there was some sort of visa you could get for being awesome.
Sunday, October 11, 2009
A guy and a girl in an old empty catholic church, stained glass, pigeons, benches, ornate molding, rickety stairs. Then there's the balcony, a secret balcony. She plays the drums, he plays the guitar, she plays the piano while he tries to make his guitar sound like a spaceship synth. The conversation lasts 2 hours, he makes fun of the faces she makes, he gets excited about equipment that she doesn't understand. He admits to being a romantic. She tries to explain why she's afraid of aliens and not ghosts. Knobs and cords and pedals are strewn everywhere, an accordion lays in the corner with a broken key. The sun goes down and 2 small lights come on. They walk home to their separate apartments and call it a night.
Friday, October 2, 2009
So I went to get my bike checked, since my friends and I put it together and none of us are qualified bike kids. Anyway, the friendliest guy checked it for me, he is from Ohio. I think I have a thing for Ohio people. Jen being number one. He said he would allow me to pay in cookies or soda, and that my bike is well put together. The only thing is that my bike brakes are set up english style, rodo I think he said? I don't know, all I know is that I have to bake cookies this weekend, and watch conference!
1. alissa my skinner i loooooove. food network is therapy, I hope I can let go of control, I need to read that book you mentioned.
2. nate housley, how did we become such good friends? sorry i didn't get any pictures with you. Sorry I made you wait on the corner for so long. Remember when you visited new york and stayed at my house? and we spent valentines day together?
3. erin flynn my giiiirl, lets go to mexico on vacation. I'm serious about it. It was so good to see you.
4. provo, the personalities are all there, but they are in different and younger bodies. I also decided it is harder being lonely there, because you get the sense of being rejected. In other places, being lonely is manageable because you are not confronted with 3,000 kids with your same interests and beliefs that view you as dispensable. In other places you understand why you are lonely. It's because no one is there, or you are surrounded by people that you wouldn't relate to anyway.
5. (car ride to the airport) Davey, you answered all my questions. I love you so much and can we please have more confessional conversations?
6. Salt Lake, I love it, but I think I've become addicted to the pace of New York. Despite all it has to offer, the trees, the food, the huge affordable housing, the boys, and the possibility of leisure time; I think I am in New York for the long haul.
7. (conversations from a bike ride) Leland, we had such aspirations of spending time together. Now you are dating someone. Bummer. And yes, maybe I live in New York so I don't have to date. Maybe I work so much because I'm afraid of dating. The truth is, I'm just tired, and burned. Not in the normal way from being 26 years old and mormon, in ways that I think I am allowed to take as long as I need. Also, I'm not really interested in dating right now in my life, I have so many other things I need to get done!
8. Liz Preston, I want to take you with me in my pocket everywhere I go.
9. (lunch at pizzeria 712) Mark and Julie, the best job I ever had was working with you guys. Please come visit. I'm sad you both had a rough year, these are the days days days of our lives.
10. Alex girl, you best be getting some sleep these days, you are a night owl! I like when we went to visit justin and hiro together.
11. The best thing was walking into my friends houses and seeing my paintings hanging there. It made me feel so loved. Becky, Alissa, Davey. It was such a pleasant surprise I'll never forget. In addition I love seeing so many friends use my images as their profile pics. Its like seeing someone wear the sweater you bought them.
12. Twelve...lets make this an even number. uhhhh ummm. Slimmy? yep Slimmy