Sunday, February 21, 2010

Dream house

I went to the Dream House by La Monte Young and Marian Zazeela in Chinatown last night. If you haven't been, I would recommend it. Its an art installation that essentially deals with consistent light and sound frequencies (there's more subtext to it, but for a short story we'll just say that). The room is all white with fluorescent purple lights, 9 pillows on the floor, and 4 speakers. Each speaker is set to a different frequency, and when you are in different parts of the room  it sounds different. The sounds combine to create an all encompassing din, which at first was unnerving, but then becomes incredibly relaxing. The din was so loud and constant that I couldn't think, which completely relaxed my mind.  It also reminded me of punk shows in high school. I used to go to these crazy shows, but I would always feel like going to sleep. Weird, I know, but its that sound immersion that allows my mind to totally turn off. I could have stayed in there for hours.

2 comments:

naomi said...

I remember being at some crazy techno house affair once, and during what I guess was a bridge of a particularly crazy song, I suddenly felt like I was in a dream and like I could sleep. I wasn't sure if anyone had experienced anything like that!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.